[Cryptography] Equation Group Multiple Malware Program, NSA Implicated

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Feb 17 17:14:57 EST 2015

On 2/17/15 at 3:24 AM, iang at iang.org (ianG) wrote:

>I agree they could do likely it, but I suspect they are
>constrained by the same economics as us.  How likely is it that
>their big malware packages are going to be useful in the case
>of a secret foreign piece of hardware?

The scenario I have in mind is China deciding that all hardware
used for sensitive applications -- government, banking,
military, etc. -- must be designed and made in China. I consider
this scenario at least reasonably likely. A security review ruse
probably wouldn't work, and we probably wouldn't trust that
hardware for sensitive applications anyway.

Cheers - Bill

Bill Frantz        | gets() remains as a monument | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | to C's continuing support of | 16345
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com | buffer overruns.             | Los Gatos,
CA 95032