[Cryptography] What do we mean by Secure?

Kent Borg kentborg at borg.org
Tue Feb 10 14:38:02 EST 2015

On 02/10/2015 02:16 PM, Arnold Reinhold wrote:
> I don’t think it is as hard as you suggest. The policy questions you
> rase about who has access are ones that auto makers have dealt with
> for a century.

And now, with technology, we expect new features that are not addressed
in that century of precedent.

Customers will want it to be better, will have both vague and specific
wishes, but won't have thought through the whole system. Companies like
BMW will rush to add wiz-bang features, apparently without thinking
through the whole system either.

Considering the "demands" of consumers and the demands of marketing are
fuzzy as hell, and not thought through, this can't be solved as an
engineering problem.

The result will be a terribly insecure system, until an awful lot of
dust has settled.

Unfortunately, the prudent car company that doesn't rush dangerous
features to market will be at a disadvantage looking old fashioned in
the face of companies that do.

-kb