[Cryptography] Security vulnerabilities in BMW's ConnectedDrive

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Feb 9 19:25:14 EST 2015

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 2:57 PM, Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com> wrote:

> there is no equivalent to the Airplane Mode offered by mobile phones.
>

> Honestly, I prefer to use airplane mode rather than turn off my phone,
> since even in a worst case scenario, no one wants their spyware to bring
> down a plane. Wars get fought over such mistakes.

The BMW case is worth watching.   The important thing  now
is not that they bungled it but how they fix it.
   How quickly,
   How correctly.
   How expensive to all parties.

I am also curious if they painted themselves into a corner where physical
hardware needs replacing?

For BMW they are lucky that there is no "business model" that crooks can
leverage beyond auto theft, yet.  Insurance companies might look to recoop
theft losses if it is shown that foolishness on the BMW side left vehicles
vulnerable more than a smashed window would.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l