[Cryptography] [cryptography] ODNI Counsel: Governments Want Accessible Crypto from Business

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 01:14:50 EST 2015

On Sat, Feb 7, 2015 at 8:42 PM, John Young <jya at pipeline.com> wrote:
> ODNI counsel Robert Litt is "optimistic" cryptographers will devise secure
> encryption which provides government access, it's "what many governments > want."
> "One of the many ways in which Snowden's leaks have damaged our national
> security is by driving a wedge between government and providers and
> technology companies so that some companies that formerly recognized that
> protecting our nation was a valuable and important public service they could
> perform now feel compelled to stand in opposition."

Some award winning slimy statements right there.

Translation:
Govt damaged itself, got caught, is pissed, is trying another sleazy grab.
Corp's sold users/customers out the last 15y, are trying to regain trust
(you've got at least 15y to make up for... so keep standing in opposition,
we'll let you know when you can take a break)
Snowden's a hero

> http://cryptome.org/2015/02/odni-litt-15-0204.pdf
You're all "potential other threats", handy right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Freedom_Act
http://www.lawfareblog.com/2015/02/the-lawfare-podcast-episode-109-robet-litt-on-us-surveillance-policy-one-year-after-ppd-28/
http://www.lawfareblog.com/2015/02/live-bob-litt-speaks-at-brookings-on-intelligence-and-surveillance-reform/

They still haven't answered? that one simple question about
how having *you* on their disks without a warrant specifically
covering probable cause on *you* to put it there... is constitutional.