[Cryptography] where is crypto going in the next decade?

ianG iang at iang.org
Fri Feb 6 06:11:29 EST 2015

On 5/02/2015 13:55 pm, Kent Borg wrote:
> This is getting pretty far off the topic of cryptography, but maybe that
> is the point. AES, good as it is, doesn't solve anything unless it is
> part of a larger system that is coherent and well built. And we know a
> lot more about why that is hard than we do about how to do it right.

There is now a evolving field in encryption that is tailored for data of
special sorts:  database rows and columns, maths through the encryption
without decrypting, that sort of thing.  At a recent RWC2015 in London,
the local grad students did their poster thing and I'd guess at least
half of them were about that area.

(I'm personally skeptical but hey....)

Another big direction is AE.  This is very welcome, there is no reason
that cryptographers should concentrate on block ciphers and software
engineers should muck around composing modes and macs and whathaveyou.
Now that the AE concept has been defined, throw it over the wall and
have the cryptographers deal with it.

On that note, at a recent (FOSDEM) talk the Keccak people announced that
NIST is now putting out the draft of SHA3 and it will include optional
features for a HMAC and an AE cipher (which latter is also submitted to
CAESAR).

(Corrections welcome if my note-taking proved bad.)

iang