[Cryptography] best practices considered bad term

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Tue Feb 3 20:59:19 EST 2015

On 2/4/15 at 5:12 PM, iang at iang.org (ianG) wrote:

>Now, here's the sell:  Over the 2000s, people drained out of
>the Microsoft world to the Apple Mac OSX world pretty
>consistently.  At the start, Apple was tiny.  At the end, the biggest.
>
>And -- my hypothesis -- they did that in significant part
>because the Mac OSX product was more secure.  By this I mean,
>no requirement to run virus scanners, and until last few years,
>very little update and change requirement.  Which meant more
>time and more $$$ in users' pockets.

I think there may be an additional reason. Microsoft was always
strong in selling to the enterprise. The enterprise has an IT
department, and Microsoft designs its software to help the IT
department. The most important way Microsoft helps the IT
department is by helping it justify its existence. The
justification is that ordinary users can't maintain a complex
Microsoft Windows based system.

Apple always built systems to be simple to install and use. Many
people liked systems that felt "right", and Apple did its best
to deliver those systems.

To some extent, Apple had better QA as well. People like things
the JFW. (Just Work)

Cheers - Bill