[Cryptography] best practices considered bad term

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 2 23:06:11 EST 2015

At 06:55 PM 2/2/2015, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>The dream that OSS would magically give us bug-free, secure code died in 2014.  There is no magic, only hard work - and we don't even know exactly *what* we should be working on.

Pretend that NSA/Snowden did everyone a favor by showing us how dreadful our protocols and software systems are.  (Yes, I know, the chances of this whole Snowden business being an NSA ploy to get us all "hardened up" for China are as small as the probability of all the air molecules in my home suddenly occupying the same cc of space.)

I think everyone fell asleep at the router back in the '90's when they thought that the encryption wars had been won.  So we've now wasted 20 years of opportunities to get our networking sh*t together.

We've only got perhaps 2 years to make up for Rip Van Winkling away the last 20 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_Van_Winkle