[Cryptography] How the CIA Made Google

ianG iang at iang.org
Sun Feb 1 18:31:34 EST 2015

On 31/01/2015 16:14 pm, John Young wrote:
> An early program of Highlands Group was perception management by
> which public opinion would be shaped by disparagement of opposition
> to ubiquitous gov-com spying with gambits like "tin-foil hat," "conspiracy
> theory," and other forms of reputation attacks.

Sadly, these are really good tactics.  They're almost costless, they
really hit hard against the auditing public, and they're almost blameless.

I'd love to see evidence of the program, and I don't doubt it exists,
it's just too good to pass up on.  We know for example that the USAF was
running around stoking up the UFO people so as to give cover for the
experimental plane flights.  There is no doubt that the spies are
running around stoking up the cypherpunkian elements to provide cover
for what they are really doing.  Read a hundred classic spy stories, etc.

Even if we see the evidence, the masses still won't believe it.  But,
speaking for myself, knowing that there was compelling verified evidence
of actual skulduggery was something that kept me sane.

iang