[Cryptography] [FORGED] Re: Photon beam splitters for "true" random number generation ?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Thu Dec 31 21:25:28 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Peter Gutmann <pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz>
wrote:

> Bill Stewart <billstewart at pobox.com> writes:
>
> >The Texas Instruments 430 processor line has some FRAM versions available;
>
> The downside is that you then have to work with an MSP 430, one of the
> world's
> truly awful CPUs.  You're better off tacking a FRAM on the side of
> something
> sane.
>
> Why would you want FRAM though?  You still need to erase it to prevent
> capture, and its remanence properties are largely unknown.

Fair question... It may be that a better choice would be an older
low power CMOS static memory.   A low leakage and well selected capacitor
and it would look persistent memory.  Short power and ground on the device
and
it forgets or give it a bath in salt water.

The problem with modern flash and fram is the default is to remember.
If a security key was placed on capacitor sustained memory and only
encrypted
data was placed on the Flash/FRAM leakage of data by the mechanics of the
device would be a do not care.   A durable static memory  thus constructed
could
be wiped by opening the case or software or I am alive safety timer.

The failure mode maters.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l