[Cryptography] Photon beam splitters for "true" random number generation ?

Patrick Chkoreff patrick at rayservers.net
Wed Dec 23 12:41:50 EST 2015

Dave Horsfall wrote on 12/23/2015 01:31 AM:

>> 16-sided dice ... create a truly random number

> A truly random number?

"Truly" may be too strong an adverb, but I meant something not obtained
with the aid of a computing device.

I do like Ron Garret's suggestion.  I take a photo of some scattered
leaves in the woods behind my house, and then:

patrick at laptop:~$ gpg --print-md sha256 scattered_leaves.jpg
scattered_leaves.jpg:
171E2552 72B2FB96 94BBB675 9B3203A1
ED799567 1A808711 25E54D12 B106DCDA

# Then FWIW:
patrick at laptop:~$ shred -u scattered_leaves.jpg

It does involve a computing device, but with an excellent seed.

-- Patrick