[Cryptography] Large companies sued for using Elliptic Curve TLS?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Tue Dec 1 17:22:41 EST 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 10:28 AM, james hughes <hughejp at me.com> wrote:

> A Certificate does not offer “proof" that the “public key was generated
> properly”. It proves the identity of the public key. Unless they are not
> using a normal term for “proof” and/or “properly", I find this hard to
> believe that an EC public key can be “proven” that it was generated
> properly.

This is almost silly to say yet is it silly?:
Breaking the encryption, exposing both public and private keys plus the
message
can prove correctness with known correct code unless the method is utterly
flawed.

I am curious about the timing of these inventions and the standards
process.
To my knowledge all these designs begin with copyright draft disclosures,
discussions and public presentations.   Then to take these works and apply
for a patent
seems like a violation of the copyright and implied NDA of standards and
other working
communities like the IETF and others unless all the inventors are named and
compensated.

Patented tech hidden in standards is an evil.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l