[Cryptography] AES Broken?

Theodore Ts'o tytso at mit.edu
Fri Aug 28 23:14:17 EDT 2015

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 01:08:17AM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> I mean, in a Monty Python sort of way, this is how not to submit a paper.

This would be a great paper to submit to one of those SPAM Conferences
in China --- to see if a paper that contains the following would get
accepted by their program committee:

    We see that the algebraic degree of the underlying transform is
    deg S ′ = −1.  This degree is very low, in fact lower than zero,
    the degree recommended by the Chinese Government (“sinkhole
    transform”). For reference, the U.S. National Security Agency
    recommends degree 1 (“the identity transform”) for all but the
    most confidential data. AES has been clearly designed to offer
    even lower security than these proposals against Algebraic Attacks
    of Courtois.

					- Ted