[Cryptography] Augmented Reality Encrypted Displays

Phillip Hallam-Baker phill at hallambaker.com
Fri Aug 28 13:09:42 EDT 2015

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 9:55 PM, Ray Dillinger <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> On 08/22/2015 08:22 AM, Henry Baker wrote:
>
> > Visual cryptography [26] is a cryptographic secret-sharing
> > scheme where visual information is split into multiple shares,
> > such that one share by itself is indiscernible from random
> > noise.  (Equivalently, one of these shares constitutes a one-
> > time pad as discussed in Section 1, and the other represents
> > the ciphertext of the secret message.)  The human visual
> > system performs a logical OR of the shares to decode the
> > secret message being shared.
>
> No matter how hard you squeeze the snakes, you just can't get
> enough oil to make it worth the effort.

That is overly negative. Chaum did some interesting stuff a while back for
voting.

Where I think the augmented reality bit will fall apart is that augmented
reality tends to depend on things like cameras analyzing the environment so
that it can register an overlay. So unlike Chaum's system in which you have
a piece of inanimate paper and an inanimate overlay foil, in augmented
reality you have at best an inanimate hacker-proof physical display and an
eminently hackable IoT device that knows both parts of the puzzle.

Yes, yes, you can split the signal paths, yada yada. But you are still back
in the problem of trusted but untrustworthy devices and you are vulnerable.

Crypto is hard...