[Cryptography] AES Broken?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 13:00:14 EDT 2015

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 8:08 AM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 2015, Krisztián Pintér wrote:
>
> > > https://mjos.fi/doc/gavekort_kale.pdf
> >
> > i'm not entirely sure whether it is trolling, hoax-attempt or joke. but
> > one interesting use of this article is for the classroom. how many
> > errors you can collect? the student collecting the most errors wins. any
> > error spotted by only one student wins some extra points. etc.
>
> Without even going into the crypto aspects, I was writhing on the floor
> after just the first page.  Cartoons?  Catholic church?  Etc.
>
> I mean, in a Monty Python sort of way, this is how not to submit a paper.

I liked this part.  They estimate the "security" of AES at:

2^127.88476373519208801711541761570483401788
with 2^127 precomputation.

Is there any reason for stating a shot-in-the-dark security guess to 42
significant digits?

Anyway, the method used in AES to generate the S-boxes are a bit scary in
the first place.

Bill