[Cryptography] Augmented Reality Encrypted Displays

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 17:21:30 EDT 2015

https://www.usenix.org/system/files/conference/soups2015/soups15-paper-andrabi.pdf

> Usability of Augmented Reality for Revealing Secret Messages to Users but
Not Their Devices

> We evaluate the possibility of a human receiving a secret
> message while trusting no device with the contents of that
> message, by using visual cryptography (VC) implemented
> with augmented-reality displays (ARDs).
> Visual cryptography [26] is a cryptographic secret-sharing
> scheme where visual information is split into multiple shares,
> such that one share by itself is indiscernible from random
> noise.  (Equivalently, one of these shares constitutes a one-
> time pad as discussed in Section 1, and the other represents
> the ciphertext of the secret message.)  The human visual
> system performs a logical OR of the shares to decode the
> secret message being shared.

Neat. Another application of visual cryptography that is like to see is for
2FA dynamic authentication cards with transparent displays. Push a button,
hold the card over the corresponding patten on the screen, type what you
see into the 2FA field.

Could also be used for highly sensitive/private notifications to the user,
which you don't need to auto-clear from view electronically as it only is
visible when the patterns are aligned. Accurate alignment and scaling would
be the tricky part, but I've got some ideas there. (Think I've partially
described this before. Gonna look up the details.)