[Cryptography] NSA has just recommended that Quantum is a threat

ianG iang at iang.org
Fri Aug 14 23:06:54 EDT 2015

https://www.nsa.gov/ia/programs/suiteb_cryptography/index.shtml

Background
IAD recognizes that there will be a move, in the not distant future, to
a quantum resistant algorithm suite. Based on experience in deploying
Suite B, we have determined to start planning and communicating early
about the upcoming transition to quantum resistant algorithms. Our
ultimate goal is to provide cost effective security against a potential
quantum computer.  We are working with partners across the USG, vendors,
and standards bodies to ensure there is a clear plan for getting a new
suite of algorithms that are developed in an open and transparent manner
that will form the foundation of our next Suite of cryptographic algorithms.

Until this new suite is developed and products are available
implementing the quantum resistant suite, we will rely on current
algorithms. For those partners and vendors that have not yet made the
transition to Suite B algorithms, *we recommend not making a significant
expenditure to do so at this point* but instead to prepare for the
upcoming quantum resistant algorithm transition.

For those vendors and partners that have already transitioned to Suite
B, we recognize that this took a great deal of effort on your part, and
we thank you for your efforts. We look forward to your continued support
as we work together to improve information security for National
Security customers against the threat of a quantum computer being
developed. Unfortunately, *the growth of elliptic curve use has bumped
up against the fact of continued progress in the research on quantum
computing*, necessitating a re-evaluation of our cryptographic strategy.