[Cryptography] Medieval Sword contains Cryptic Code. British Library appeals for help to crack it.

Ray Dillinger bear at sonic.net
Thu Aug 13 23:06:36 EDT 2015

On 08/13/2015 01:57 PM, Paul Ferguson wrote:
> Interesting article, pointer via Schneier's blog led me to:
>
> http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-general/medieval-sword-contains-cryp
> tic-code-british-library-appeals-help-crack-it-003571
>
> Via:
>
> https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/08/cryptography_fr.html
>
> FYI,

18 characters isn't a lot to go on. Even for a monoalphabetic
substitution cipher, that's likely below the unicity distance.
We'll probably never know what the inscription says, unless we
find it as part of a longer text somewhere else.

I really have to admire the metallurgy though; the thing was
sunk in a river for seven centuries, is still sharp, still has
a very legible (if mysterious) inscription, and didn't even
significantly rust.

Seriously.  That's better than most of the stainless steel we
make today.

				Bear