[Cryptography] upgrade mechanisms and policies

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 14:50:26 EDT 2015

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 2:15 AM, <alex at alten.org> wrote:

> Agreed, now AES is shipping with almost every Intel processor (the AES-NI
> instruction set).  The only problem is most programmers don't want to deal
> with the extra headache of managing the crypto data keys.
>
> 2010: Release of first processors with AES-NI.
2011: Full biclique attack on AES.

AES likely has a security level equal to that of Skipjack, but I feel a
little itchy when AES and SHA-3 share some designers, and as attacks
against AES improve, inertia to keep AES increases.

I really want a cryptographic FPGA coprocessor for multicore CPUs. Many
processors already have integrated graphics.