[Cryptography] The world's most secure TRNG

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 15:58:46 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:03 AM, Natanael <natanael.l at gmail.com> wrote:

> Den 30 sep 2014 09:55 skrev "Philipp Gühring" <pg at futureware.at>:
> >
> > > So from a marketing point of view you should put a whitener on the
> > > part.
> >
> > Yes!

Thanks for that suggestion.  I'll whiten with some of the leftover gates.
How to do a decent job sounds like a fun problem.

> > But when you do that, (like Intel did with their RdRand), people will
> > accuse you of providing malicious randomness that they can´t audit
> > anymore, since you whitened it.
> >
> > Has anyone found a solution to that paradox yet?
>
> Auditable whitening?

Will do!  I'll have the default power-on state be to whiten, while there
will be a simple value you write to the USB port to toggle whitening.

Allow the user to verify that the whitener follows the specification by
> being able to access the raw RNG output (hardware switch or cables
> required?) and to feed the whitener with their own arbitary data for
> verification.
>
> Once you're confident the whitener behaves as specified, you just leave it
> on as intended.
>
> Intel got criticized for not even allowing access to the raw output before
> the whitener, at all. So for all you know it might be running a stream
> cipher or a counter through a hash function.

What's worse, IMO, is that they claim an audit mode exists, and is used in
debug and also during device testing, but they wont let us know how to
activate it.

Bill