[Cryptography] The world's most secure TRNG

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Mon Sep 29 03:50:22 EDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Bill Cox <waywardgeek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a quick question for you guys.  For a USB stick TRNG, would you
> rather pay ~$15 for a 100K-byte/second source of true entropy, or ~$30 for
> a 1M-byte/second source?

The price is the most compelling part.
However it is unclear to the world that your solution is any better
than the built in RNG of modern processors.    There is FUD that the
Intel solution has been hobbled but FUD could apply to your solution
as well.

There is apparently a need for a number of small but interesting
distributed
and dispersed devices in small, medium and large data centers.  I have seen
people
experiment with honeypot and network audit and management tools based
on Raspberry Pi and Beaglebone Black computers.

I would consider building a cape or add on board for one of these that
contains
your improved TRN generation ability and one other missing feature that you
see as having value for a well managed cluster of systems and VMs.

I believe most folk that need TRNs need less than 100KB/sec.   That is
enough
to seed a RNG that would be useful in the time that another fresh seed
could
be gathered.    If that is not the case than a stream of bits to saturate a
USB3 link
might be enough.

As you can suspect I have a bias toward these sub $100 Sub 10 watt
computers.
But by replying I think you are on to something interesting and it is up to
you what tool kit and hardware gets the job done.

My personal needs are small enough that by rendering photos in my picture
collection and gathering thermal noise from them my limited needs would be
addressed.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l