[Cryptography] The world's most secure TRNG

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 07:32:53 EDT 2014

Thanks for all the feedback.  I get the main point: cheaper is better.  On
that note, I'm tempted to start with a DigiSpark, and add the cheapest
possible infinite noise multiplier.

As for theory, it's simple: use *modular* multiplication when amplifying
noise, rather than saturating multiplication.  It really is as simple as
that.

Any TRNG that amplifies noise to saturation, like all zener-noise devices,
are highly sensitive to external noise, RF, etc.  This is because the
amplifiers saturate when they hit the rails.  If an attacker can inject
even a few microvolts, he can likely control the output.

By using modular analog multiplication, the outputs wrap around and never
saturate.  The zener or thermal noise can still be amplified enough to be
detected, but an attacker loses the ability to control the output.

Bill