[Cryptography] Email encryption for the wider public

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Fri Sep 19 13:31:34 EDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 03:43:29PM +0200, Henry Augustus Chamberlain wrote:
> I propose that we use the local part of the email address to store the
> public key, so instead of HenryAugustusChamberlain at gmail.com, my email
> address would be (64 random letters)@gmail.com.

I replied:

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 02:11:26PM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> Which is why we have the Phonetic Alphabet.  Many's the time I've had to
> say Hotel Oscar Romeo Sierra Foxtrot Alfa Lima Lima.  The odd part is,
> they get it every time.

Alas, my experience has not been so good:
* If I just say "Hotel Oscar Romeo Sierra Foxtrot ..." a significant
  fraction of listeners have no idea of what I'm talking about.
* Even I say "H as in Hotel, O as in Oscar, R as in Romeo, ...", the
  error rate is still substantial, particularly if the E-mail address
  I'm trying to spell out has repeated letters.

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA