[Cryptography] Email encryption for the wider public

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Fri Sep 19 00:11:26 EDT 2014

On Thu, 18 Sep 2014, Jonathan Thornburg wrote:

> Getting the
> spelling of $spouse's (8-letter, but "odd" to many people) E-mail correct
> over a poor-quality phone connection is hard enough already!

Which is why we have the Phonetic Alphabet.  Many's the time I've had to
say Hotel Oscar Romeo Sierra Foxtrot Alfa Lima Lima.  The odd part is,
they get it every time.

Or in a radio situation, when spelling out my Amateur radio callsign::
Mixed Group Victor Kilo Figures Two Kilo Foxtrot Uniform.  In a really
noisy situation, we use Words Twice Words Twice, although that's more
Voice Procedure than phonetics.

-- Dave