[Cryptography] List of Proven Secure Ciphers / Hashes

Bill Stewart billstewart at pobox.com
Tue Sep 16 01:41:09 EDT 2014

At 02:31 PM 9/15/2014, Jerry Leichter wrote:
>Yes, but that's breaking RSA *for the private key*.  Suppose I have
>a method that decrypts one in 10 messages encrypted with a given
>private key, but *without* directly revealing the public key.  (No
>one can even suggest a way one might do this, but imagine such an
>algorithm exists.)  Can you turn that into a factoring algorithm?

The traditional algorithm for that which is to use RSA to encrypt
session keys,
and generate the session keys with a bad random number generator,
so they're relatively guessable.

Somebody wrote:
>Yeah, and now you're back to the how-to-travel-to-Mars problem:
>1. Build a big rocket.
>2. Round up some astronauts.
>3. Fly to Mars

Turns out the rocket's the easy part;
you can take current science and engineering and do that,
given unrealistically large amounts of money.
The hard part is building a stable ecosystem so that the astronauts
have something to breathe and eat on the way,
and can continue to do so indefinitely after they arrive,
without needing constant care packages along the trip.
We haven't even been able to get little terraria like Biosphere 2 to
work without cheating.