[Cryptography] distributing fingerprints etc. via QR codes etc.

Judson Lester nyarly at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 19:54:31 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2014, at 2:46 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> > Should I be worried?  And I don't mean by seeing myself in the morning...
> A QR image can contain a URL.  Common software scanning such a QR image
> will pass the URL to the default browser, which will typically open it.  I
> don't know - never had any reason to experiment - whether non-HTTP URL's
> also get passed to their registered handlers, though I suspect at least
> some QR-reading software will do that.

No QR scanner I've ever used, even the most janky overseas mobile app, has
ever automatically opened URLs for me. They always present the URL and
offer to open them - sometimes to my slight dismay, although the "oh right,
not taking me to an unknown website automatically is a *good thing*" gets
me past. :) I agree though, a scanner that opens a helper application
without user input should be considered broken-to-malware.

Judson