[Cryptography] distributing fingerprints etc. via QR codes etc.

Tony Arcieri bascule at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 19:50:12 EDT 2014

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:

> A QR image can contain a URL.  Common software scanning such a QR image
> will pass the URL to the default browser, which will typically open it.  I
> don't know - never had any reason to experiment - whether non-HTTP URL's
> also get passed to their registered handlers, though I suspect at least
> some QR-reading software will do that.

That's why this would probably work best in conjunction with an app
specifically designed to scan others' public keys / key fingerprints via QR
code, as opposed to using a generic QR code scanner

Still not saying QR codes are a good idea, but surely they're better than
slips of paper ;)

--
Tony Arcieri