[Cryptography] HR 5099

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Fri Sep 12 13:23:22 EDT 2014

On 09/12/2014 09:21 AM, R. Hirschfeld asked:
> ... what list members (especially
> those at NIST) think of HR 5099, the bill in the current US Congress
> to remove the NSA from the list of agencies that NIST is required to
> consult when developing security standards

Reference:  https://beta.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/5099/

I'm not an expert, but I'd wager that this bill isn't
going anywhere.  The sponsor (Grayson) is more of a
show-horse than a work-horse.  He hasn't lined up any
co-sponsors as far as I can tell.  He doesn't sit on
any of the committees that would hear the bill.  The
main effect of the bill is to allow Grayson to send
letters to constituents and (ahem) "donors" saying he
submitted an amendment to do such-and-such.

If any such provision does become law, it will be due
to somebody working behind the scenes, not due to
action on HR 5099.