[Cryptography] [cryptography] STARTTLS for HTTP

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Wed Sep 3 16:36:53 EDT 2014

* John Levine:

There's currently no way for a sever operator to state that http://
and https:// offer the same content.

>>Turning off certificate warnings for everything would disable
>>authentication for everyone, including those who have obtained proper
>>certificates.
>
> Then twiddle the warnings so they just turn off the lock icon rather
> than putting up a big scary page that 99% of users click through
> anyway.

This doesn't work because it's not just the UI indicators.  The change
from https:// to http:// alters browser and web application behavior
as well.  That's why it's preferable to make the change at a lower
layer, so tht the http:// scheme can be reduced.