[Cryptography] List of Proven Secure Ciphers / Hashes

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Wed Sep 3 06:17:41 EDT 2014

asserting P!=NP is a prerequisite for all crypto, but it isn't proven.

If you do assert P!=NP then you're still stuck without method to determine
if, for operation F, there exists no method that inverts F that's in P. If
you'd have the proof for P!=NP you might be able to extend that proof,
somehow relate to it.

But we haven't ever found the proof for P!=NP (if it even exists).

So in short, yeah, pretty much true for all crypto. I'm not aware of any
proofs that assert something to be at least very expensive but within P,
but that *could *make it possible to prove a cryptographic algorithm. The
problem is that anything within P is, well, really much worse than our
"probably NP" algorithms seem to be. It means you'll expend a lot more
effort while encrypting and decrypting compared to the cracking effort.
(I'd love for someone to chime in and refer to a proven cryptosystem
without strong assertions such as P=NP)

Disclaimer: I might be a trained computer scientist and even a little bit
of a trained cryptographer, but I'm still wrong all the bloody time.