[Cryptography] SSLv3 in the wild

John Denker jsd at av8n.com
Wed Oct 29 15:38:55 EDT 2014

As John Oliver might say:
  SSLv3 -- How is that still a thing?

SSLv3 was deprecated and superseded by TLS1.0 in 1999
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2246

I was disappointed to find large SSLv3-only servers existing
in the wild, 15 years post TLS, and two weeks post-POODLE.
I was expecting a few small clients, but I'm not sure I was
expecting large servers.

Here is an example that you may find useful, as a test-target
or perhaps a talking point.  Canadian tax dollars at work:
  https://flightplanning.navcanada.ca/

Note that there is no "http" access to the navcanada site.
This is relevant because it removes a possible workaround,
and violates the dictum that says if you can't encrypt
properly you shouldn't encrypt at all.

The overall situation is a pain in the neck because it means
I can't just eradicate all traces of SSLv3 and forget about it.

Firefox says:

> Secure Connection Failed
>
> An error occurred during a connection to flightplanning.navcanada.ca.
> Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption
> algorithm(s). (Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

Nmap seems to have an overoptimistic notion of "strong":

nmap --script ssl-enum-ciphers -p 443 flightplanning.navcanada.ca