[Cryptography] NSA versus DES etc....

Jerry Leichter leichter at lrw.com
Sun Oct 19 09:01:28 EDT 2014

On Oct 6, 2014, at 8:30 AM, Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se> wrote:
>> And didn't the Swedes find a Russian sub in their waters some years back?
>
> While this has preciously little to do with cryptography, yes...
> The Swedish Wikipedia article states that "between 1981 and 1994
> approximately 4700 observations" of submarine-like objects were made,
> presumably within Swedish territorial waters (I don't really feel like
> digging out the Swedish government report cited as the source for
> that)....
It turns out this isn't just "the dead past".  See "Sweden searches for suspected Russian submarine off Stockholm.  Helicopters, minesweepers and 200 service personnel mobilised in search after tipoff about ‘foreign underwater activity’".

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/19/sweden-search-russian-submarine-stockholm
                                                        -- Jerry