[Cryptography] Walmart fooled by non-authenticated web pages

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Sat Nov 22 18:27:23 EST 2014

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 5:12 AM, Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

> * Jerry Leichter:
>
> > The only unusual thing here is that Walmart apparently believed that
> > someone else was selling a popular, in-demand device for a quarter
> > the going price.
>
> I expect that Walmart doesn't disclose the margins on individual items
> to each store.

True, yet, Walmart is very data driven.  I would assert that any
discount entry should be cross checked in the system against stupidity,
error or fraud.    Modern database systems do enforce access control
that could be used in interesting ways so margin related data need
not be disclosed locally (i.e. a local data check not long distance).

Further in the modern security driven world collection of video of deep
discount
transactions and associated employee tracking could be triggered as soon as
the
"loss" exceeds something like ten hours wages ($110.00).  Faces on
both sides of the transaction could be entered into face recognition
systems quickly squashing the problem.   Sharing with city, state and
federal law enforcement might make sense as well.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l