[Cryptography] Where should I start with cryptography?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Wed Nov 19 15:13:50 EST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 8:16 PM, <dj at deadhat.com> wrote:

> > Hi, my name is Juan. I'm a young boy that is beginning with cryptography.

> I started So my advice is

> 1) Study
> 2) Implement crypto algorithms.

Davids advice is spot on!

Today there is a lot of open source that is tempting to look at
and copy.   I would advise that you ignore existing source
and build your own code that interoperates with other binaries.

Your work may prove slower or faster but outside of that it
is an alternate code base to test against as long as it is correct.
When you get it working you can submit it to the test side of a project
with
a testing harness.   It will need to be clear and well organized to
be accepted.

A programmer or hardware type will be concerned with data,
data structures and other fundamental programming concepts.
Make sure programming fundamentals are on your homework
list.

Code in at least two different and contrasting languages.
Python is a good choice.  N.B. most Python gets redone
in C for performance reasons shortly after the design is finished
in Python so consider the two together.

Haskell is a modern language worthy of study.   The great
programmers I know often code in one language to design
then implement in a second for products that ship.  This avoids
gaps that a pseudo language introduces.

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l