[Cryptography] Infinite Noise or Firebug?

Natanael natanael.l at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 18:29:06 EST 2014

Den 17 nov 2014 21:34 skrev "Dave Horsfall" <dave at horsfall.org>:

> On Mon, 17 Nov 2014, Bill Cox wrote:
>
> > Firebug sounds too much like Firefox, everyone will think it's a Mozilla
> > thing..
>
> I'd like to second that, if I may.
>
> Firebug sounds "nasty" i.e. one of those USB sticks discussed here.
>
> It reminds me of ShellShock (and other recent things, like Poodle).
>
> In Australia, a firebug is an arsonist, and in this hot dry country they
> are regarded pretty much as the lowest of the low.
>
> In Amateur radio parlance, a "firebug" (aka "glowbottle") is a valve (or
> "tube" for the USA readers).
>
> > Given that it plays loose with acronymization (Fi != Fast, Bu != Bit),
> > Fartbig would be a closer and more memorable match.
>
> Well, it's certainly memorable :-)  Can't see it catching on except
> amongst geeks, though.
>
> > Peter and I have bounced a couple names back and forth.  What do you
> > think of Modular Multiplication Loop?  It is more descriptive of the
> > function than Infinite Noise Multiplier, or Firebug.  Other variations
> > might be Mod2 Multiplication/Multiplier Loop, Analog Modular Multiplier,
> > etc.
>
> Too geeky, What does it do?  It's something that generates random bits,
> that fits into a pocket/handbag/pendant/etc.  Portabit i.e. portable bits?
> Just don't blame me if Aussies start calling it a Porta-Loo (a well-known
> brand of you-know-what)...

Some simple suggestions of mine that is intended to be somewhat descriptive:

Spinner. Associated to randomness via spin-the-bottle and references the
"loop behavior".

Flipper. As in bitflip.

Scrambler. Not my personal favorite (too generic), but maybe somebody else
likes it?

Dicechip. Self-explanatory name, easy to remember. Beware of potential
preexisting trademarks.