[Cryptography] Wind River Security Features and Cryptography Libraries

Collin Anderson collin at averysmallbird.com
Wed Nov 5 06:57:11 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 3:58 AM, Jerry Leichter <leichter at lrw.com> wrote:

> What it *looks* like has happened is that Wind River (and they are
> probably not alone) simply ignored the "pointless" step of applying for an
> export license.  I'll bet many companies today do, too - they treat these
> regs as relics of a bygone era.

There is a meaningful difference between VxWorks and consumer operating
systems – even with regard to the Mass Market Encryption Exemptions. OS X
for example is classified as 5D992, whereas VxWorks is 5D002 – these
numbers make a huge difference.

http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/encryption/registration

Don't sell non-mass-market crypto to the PRC, don't sell to Chinese
military, don't sell to persons on the Department of Commerce's Entities
List, and mind which governments elsewhere.

http://www.exportlawblog.com/archives/6481

That's not to say that the encryption export regulations are appropriate,
but the interpretations of BIS's actions seem misinformed.
--
*Collin David Anderson*
averysmallbird.com | @cda | Washington, D.C.