[Cryptography] Paranoia for a Monday Morning

Henry Baker hbaker1 at pipeline.com
Tue Nov 4 14:48:30 EST 2014

At 12:18 AM 11/3/2014, Cole Sangster wrote:
>While the NSA clearly exploits the situation, I see no reason to
>attribute to malice what is amply explained by stupidity.  The problem is
>much bigger than the NSA.

I agree with you 100%.  Now what?

BTW, have you ever noticed how many exploits utilize various
"management" backdoors that were put there for IT professionals
to be able to "manage" the devices of the (unwashed) "users",
including the CEO's own devices ?

(At MIT, we used to call "users" by their proper name: "lusers",
which is what many IT professionals think they are when the
"users" can't hear them talking.)

Invariably, the thought that goes into the security of these
backdoors is orders of magnitude less than the thought that
goes into the front doors; ditto for the amount of testing
of these backdoors.

And yet the outcry continues for even more backdoors, but
this time with "golden keys" !