[Cryptography] Best internet crypto clock: hmmmmm...

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 02:51:55 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
>
>> Are you perhaps thinking of the so-called EURion constellation?
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EURion_constellation
>
> That *could* be it; I'd heard a few different versions of the story that
> some copiers would not do currency, and naturally the banks themselves are
> going to be less than forthcoming about their techniques (just like in the
> crypto world).

http://www.secretservice.gov/know_your_money.shtml

Quality counterfeiters of US notes don't care what BEP/FED/TREAS
discloses, they just reverse engineer the bills. Also note that bills before
1990 have nearly trivial security and are still legal tender. There is a model
year vs. timespan "ain't seen one of those lately" acceptance risk with
older bills but that's about it. Either way, don't worry, your average gov't
deflates bill value by printing, more than any counterfeit factory ever
would want to.

Note that paper money can be cloned with far less cost than
any known attack on say Bitcoin, and with more profit since
you still have the bills, but unless you can steal a tiny percent
of the coins quietly all you'd do is bring the network trust to zero.