[Cryptography] What is going on with TrueCrypt?

Bill Cox waywardgeek at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:09:21 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Peter Trei <petertrei at gmail.com> wrote:

> ATM, I'm still thinking 'Warrant Canary'. The longer the site remains
> modified, and the devs silent, the stronger that option becomes, imho.
>
> pt

I tend to agree.

It's probably just me being paranoid, but I have been suspicious for some
time that something is up over at the TC site.  First, some commenters were
either really really dumb, or purposely supporting keeping TC password
hashing (key derivation) weak for unknown reasons.  Second, when I was
active on the user forum, twice, both times on Sunday afternoons, the forum
shut down after I posted until Monday morning. It gave me the feeling that
someone was monitoring the site, and had a way to shut it down if a post
was made that needed to be reviewed for some reason.  Likely this is just
paranoia, but it's possible there has been something strange going on for
over six months (roughly how long ago this happened).

Bill