[Cryptography] One third IT managers think homomorphic is already here

Sidney Markowitz sidney at sidney.com
Sat May 3 19:12:05 EDT 2014

Stephan Neuhaus wrote, On 3/05/14 10:06 pm:
> On 2014-05-03, 09:40, Peter Gutmann wrote:
>> [...] They're not, they're IT managers.  They're
>> doing the crypto in the cloud, with the keys in the cloud.
[...]
> Do you have evidence for that?  You don't have to name it, just say
> "yes" if you know of examples; I'll believe you, even though it does
> boggle the mind.

Here is an article in infofworld about the same report. I haven't watched the
video clip linked in the beginning of this thread, but the description of the
report in this article does seem to match what Peter said:

http://www.infoworld.com/t/cloud-security/encryption-in-the-cloud-scarcer-you-think-241598

Excerpts:

"Only 39 percent of SaaS users and 26 percent of IaaS/PaaS users had data at
rest encrypted, and only 44 percent (SaaS)/40 percent (IaaS/PaaS) of those
users were encrypting data before sending it to the cloud. An unsurprisingly
strong correlation existed between a company's overall security posture (if
they subject to regulations, for example) and its use of encryption."
[...]
"Here, the consistency between the numbers for apps and at-rest encryption
hints at how the encryption profile across all types of companies is
consistent. In other words, the use of encryption may be more closely tied to
the type of company than the type of data."