[Cryptography] One third IT managers think homomorphic is already here

Stephan Neuhaus stephan.neuhaus at tik.ee.ethz.ch
Sat May 3 06:06:45 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-03, 09:40, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> You're looking in the mirror here and seeing people like yourself
> making the decisions.  They're not, they're IT managers.  They're
> doing the crypto in the cloud, with the keys in the cloud.  After
> all, the data's already there, so if you trust the cloud with your
> data you can also trust it with your keys.

Do you have evidence for that?  You don't have to name it, just say
"yes" if you know of examples; I'll believe you, even though it does
boggle the mind.

But of course encrypting locally and storing ciphertex remotely does
have an important drawback: without homomorphic encryption you can't do
"SELECT column FROM table WHERE ..." on encrypted database rows.

Fun,

Stephan