[Cryptography] OpenPGP and trust

ianG iang at iang.org
Sun Mar 30 08:46:48 EDT 2014

On 30/03/2014 02:11 am, Bill Frantz wrote:
> On 3/29/14 at 6:43 PM, stuartl at longlandclan.yi.org (Stuart Longland) wrote:
>
>> Presently, there are a few means of authentication.  One is call-sign
>> databases ran by QRZ.com and other sites.  Some of these cost money
>> (after all, they cost money to run) to query.  Unfortunately at best
>> they can tell you that the callsign AB2CD is a valid call-sign and is
>> owned by "Joe Public" living in some part of the US.
>
> The amateur radio community is a very interesting example for people
> interested in networked security. In amateur radio, everyone has unique
> true name. Mine is AE6JV. These names are government assigned and more
> interestingly, unique, global, and memorable (all 3 sides of Zooko's
> triangle).

Um.  I thought the 'global' is shorthand for or implies decentralised,
e.g., my name 1ANG is also allocatable by me, in hope of uniqueness and
memorability.

But I get your analogy point, it can be seen through the ZT lens.

> (Authenticating that someone the "real" AE6JV is a separate,
> unsolved, problem.)

That be part of the unique aspect, in that there only be one AE6JV.

> By looking at interpersonal interactions in the amateur radio community,
> one can gain insight how humans react to such an identity situation.
>
> Note that for US hams, the QRZ database is directly downloaded from the
> FCC. In that database, I am William, not Bill. When someone greets me as
> William, I know they got the name from the database, and not directly
> from me.

A one bit checksum over source?

> Cheers - Bill

iang