[Cryptography] OpenPGP and trust

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Mar 29 21:57:27 EDT 2014

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014, Stuart Longland wrote:

> In Amateur Radio, encryption is more or less outlawed.  In the US, it's
> not allowed on air, end of story (I hear much vigorous discussion about
> it on the digitalvoice mailing list).  Here in Australia, it's allowed
> for very specific circumstances, such as in emergency communications.
> Regardless of your location, in most places it is frowned upon.

Also for things like remote control of repeaters etc.  If some wombat
started playing music over it (or worse), I merely commanded it off.

Naturally I changed the key every so often, because the idiots regarded it
as a challenge to decrypt my commands (I'd quickly learned to avoid replay
attacks by using some sort of a rolling-key scheme), but strong crypto
was, and still is, a definite no-no.

-- Dave