[Cryptography] Cisco FNR; block cipher without padding

Paul Grubbs paulgrub at umail.iu.edu
Mon Jun 30 01:50:47 EDT 2014

My work in industry heavily involves these types of format-preserving block
cipher constructions. [I work at Skyhigh Networks.] As such, I am fairly
well-acquainted with the work in the field. I was (and still am, to an
extent) very interested in FNR but I don't understand what differentiates
it from other more mature constructions based on the Luby-Rackoff result.
If more security is desired a practitioner can use one of any number of
recent works that use ideas from card shuffling algorithms (e.g. the Thorp
shuffle) to construct pseudorandom permutations over an arbitrary domain.