[Cryptography] What has Bitcoin achieved?

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Wed Jun 25 15:32:44 EDT 2014

> (I realize nobody uses checks in Australia any more, but substitute
> whatever you use to tell your bank to pay bills.)

Two other contemporary-use-of-cheques notes:
* BC Hydro, the main electricity utility in the province of
  British Columbia, Canada, does not currently offer online payments.
  (I think they'll allow you to use a 3rd-party online payment system,
  who of course charges a fee for that "privilege", quite apart from
  any security issues.)  So, I mail a paper cheque to BC Hydro every
  2 months to pay my electricity bill.
* Typical international wire-transfer fees between (say) the USA and
  Canada are around $50-$75 per transfer.  Depending on your financial
  institution's fee schedule and exchange-rate policies, mailing a paper
  cheque can be significantly cheaper than an international wire transfer.

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA