[Cryptography] [cryptography] Steganography and bringing encryption to a piece of paper

Pete Wayner pete at wayner.org
Sun Jul 20 12:29:26 EDT 2014

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM, Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi> wrote:
>

>> So what *is* it with you people? Can't you see that steganography really
>> starts and ends with information and coding theory, unlike cryptography?
>> Its bounds really necessarily and from the start have to do with noise and
>> uncertainty, whereas crypto protocols only deal with clean data and
>> computational complexity (eventually, preferably, proven-to-be-hard
>> one-way-functions). Steganography really is its own, separate field,
>> eventhough it shares most of the randomness, signal processing, complexity
>> and whatnot, framework, with current crypto proper.

You're quite right. If anyone is interested in some of the more information
theoretical approaches to steganography, I have several chapters about it
in *Disappearing Cryptography. *Pretty rudimentary, of course, but it might
be a help.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0123744792/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0123744792&linkCode=as2&tag=myhomepage0bc&linkId=LCZPZBSBFE2HXQ77