[Cryptography] Steganography and bringing encryption to a piece of paper

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Fri Jul 18 17:03:24 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:41:26AM -0700, Bear wrote:
> Let's imagine that there is a person who is a conlang hobbyist
> and has a diary which he keeps in an entirely made-up language.
> It has grammar that doesn't (much) resemble the grammar of English,
> its own vocabulary most words of which are not direct substitutions
> for English words and are ambiguous in different ways, its own
> morphology (derived from three earlier made-up languages) and
> system of affixes and infixes, and its own set of a few thousand
> made-up idiomatic phrases.  Some of these made-up idioms are
> "linguistic fossils" from earlier made-up languages, which don't
> make sense according to the rules of the current language's grammar.
>
> Its only relation to words in existing languages are via proper
> nouns, which are handled via a sequence of syllable substitution
> and sound-change rules that result in pronounceable but apparently
> unrelated strings that are (usually) longer or (sometimes) shorter
> and otherwise conform to the lexicographic conventions of his
> made-up language.
>
> Further, the transformation rules are not reversible; while there
> may be only one 'image' in the constructed language for a given
> proper noun, the constructed word could be the result of applying
> the process to any of billions of possible preimage strings - of
> which possibly only one or possibly as many as a few dozen are
> genuinely proper nouns from which it might have been derived.  And,
> to make matters worse than that, almost every *other* word in the
> language could also result from the same set of substitution rules,
> each with billions of possible preimages which might include zero,
> one, or as many as a few dozen completely unrelated proper nouns.
[[...]]

> While not "encrypted" as such, I doubt that anyone who got their
> hands on his journal could, in any reasonable timeframe or possibly
> ever, read it.  With no illustrations or passages in English to
> relate to the written words, the proper nouns are the only
> relationship it has to the real world, and that relationship is
> itself tenuous. To those who had not spent time learning the
> language from someone who, ultimately, learned it from the guy
> who made it up, it should be  as impenetrable as the Voynich
> manuscript.

Alternatively, as impenetrable as
  130 13042 13401 8501 115 3528 416 17214 6491 11310
  18147 18222 21560 10247 11518 23677 13805 3494 14936
(the first two lines of the Zimmermann Telegram,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerman_Telegram).

The Zimmerman-telgram code had a many-to-one mapping from German words
to codewords, large numbers of nulls, and various other measures to
confuse any attempted decryption.  But Room 40 still broke it.

A rereading of Kahn "The Codebreakers" on the era of Nomenclatures and
beyond does not offer high hopes of this diary-code staying unbroken if
the NSA decides it's worth a few analyst-months and GPU-centuries...

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA