[Cryptography] Steganography and bringing encryption to a piece of paper

Grégory Alvarez gregory at alvarez-garcia.com
Fri Jul 18 03:08:22 EDT 2014

> Speaking of grandma, my son and I were discussing encryption variants at
> the dinner table, and my mother chimed in. "How, I now encryption, our
> network used it to send messages to French underground and intelligence
> service contacts!" She went on to describe a variant of grille coding.
> Place the letters of your message at specified points in the grille, then
> use your imagination to fill the rest of the text so it looks like a normal
> letter. So, basically, they were using steganography on a piece of paper...

Steganography has been around for a long time but the problem with these
techniques is that they are easily defeated. The objective with Steno.io is
to bring the robustness of an electronic encryption algorithm to paper.

Steganography on a piece of paper? A problem with the dictionary approach
> is that the text does not look like a normal letter. The censors may not be
> able to read it, but they can see that the text stands out. A phrase like
> "uncomplimentary threateningly. conceptually secures on pockiest" does not
> look like something you would place in a letter to grandma...

Yes this is a problem I am working on. I have some ideas how to solve it
but nothing very effective right now. Any suggestions are welcome.