[Cryptography] Security clearances and FOSS encryption?

Tom Mitchell mitch at niftyegg.com
Fri Jul 11 21:21:58 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Bear <bear at sonic.net> wrote:

> > I think that is true only for th> e agency or company that actually
> > > does the research into someone's background and approves the
> > > security clearance, because of the Law Of Trust: (all together now)

> > That said, I'm not a lawyer.  Further, I'm not sure American
> > citizens without some kind of clearance are even permitted to
> > know the law on this topic, which is disturbing on a whole
> > different level.
> >
> > I recently ended a job with a security clearance myself; it was
> > with a government contractor whose employment agreement asserted
> > "we own any code you publish even in your hobby time", so I'd
> > been not contributing to FOSS projects during the time I worked
> > there. It is important to note that that feature of the employment
> > agreement had nothing specifically to do with the security
> > clearance; employment agreements with government contractors
> > are a separate consideration under law.

Now I am curious how many clearances require a polygraph conducted
by a TLA or a contractor service.

Clearly polygraph information and disclosures are not private.   :(

http://wiat.com/2014/07/10/harris-personnel-file-released/

"TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (WIAT) – WIAT 42 News has obtained a copy of Justin
“Ross” Harris’ personnel file from the time that he was employed as a
dispatcher with the Tuscaloosa Police Department.  The documents detail
Harris’ employment history, some drug use, and the results of a polygraph
test that was conducted before his hire.  Harris was hired as a tele
communicator basic with the police department in June of 2006.  He was
promoted in his second year with the department, and then in May 2009, he
resigned.  ....."

--
  T o m    M i t c h e l l