[Cryptography] Angry Cryptographers...

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Tue Jan 28 17:50:33 EST 2014

2014-01-28 Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam at gmail.com>

> The sheer scope of the spying and the Abu Ghraib photographs call the
> officers loyalty into question. They didn't raise any questions when the
> previous President ordered the use of torture on prisoners of war. They
> didn't raise any questions about the reclassification of prisoners of war
> as 'illegal combatants' or torture as 'enhanced interrogation'. So now they
> are not due any benefit of the doubt when they try to explain their
> motivations or demonstrate their loyalty.

To be fair the very existence of state is torture. You're just less
tolerant about bad conditions for prisoners than they were. The definition
of a POW follows from the good ol' Geneva convention. If one doesn't wear a
uniform or something similar enough they are not soldiers and thus not POWs.

You can go ahead and think morals mean everything. In fact morals mean
nothing. People are to be made to die as to ensure lasting prosperity or
pleasure for those capable of instigating such atrocities. It's been that
way and it will be that way until I become present of the world. That's
probably another way to say "until hell freezes over".