[Cryptography] Boing Boing pushing an RSA Conference boycott

Jonathan Hunt j at me.net.nz
Wed Jan 15 14:24:27 EST 2014

Oh come on. Here is Schneier in 2007 linking to a presentation by 2
very respected cryptographers (Shumow, Ferguson) demonstrating their
ability to backdoor Dual EC by choosing the constants. This was a bad
of a break of an RNG as you could possibly hope to see.
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/12/dual_ec_drbg_ad.html

You can choose between explaining RSA's actions as (evil) selling out
their customers or genuine incompetence at their stated core business.
But the results above were well-known in the security community since
2007 and demonstrated a practical possibility that Dual EC was
backdoored. From 2008 onwards, leaving Dual EC (with default
constants) as the default choice for a cryptographic library is not a
defensible choice.

Jonny